|Executive Design (Viaducts)||Italy – Reggio Calabria||Consortium Company SARC (Salini Impregilo s.p.a. – Condotte d’Acqua s.p.a.)|
In the mid-1960s, the completion of the Milan-Naples “Autostrada del Sole” left Calabria — one of the country’s southernmost regions — still connected to the rest of the country via archaic and poorly efficient infrastructure. The state tried to solve the difficulties linked to the development of the south by making substantial structural investments, deciding to fund the extension of the motorway network as far as Reggio Calabria in 1964. Work lasted a decade, followed by maintenance, modernization and further enhancements that has continued to the present day.
The construction of the entire infrastructure, 440 km long, was a major engineering challenge given the physical characteristics of the territory and the distance from the most developed industrial centers. The state commissioned construction to a large number of businesses, including companies that have since become part of the Salini Impregilo Group.
The macro lot extends from the Gioia Tauro interchange to the Scilla interchange for a total length of approximately 30 kilometres in each direction. It has been a particularly complex work from a design, technical and organisational point of view. The work involved constructing two carriageways in each direction, each made up of two 3.75 metre wide lanes and two 3 metre wide hard shoulders, for a total roadway width of 25 metres.
The section features a succession of tunnels and viaducts: 24 viaducts and bridges for a length of approximately 7.6 kilometres, 12 natural tunnels and 1 man-made tunnel per carriageway for a total length of approximately 28 kilometres, all constructed in a difficult setting with narrow valleys and difficult to access slopes.
Two works of national interest must be highlighted: the adaptation of the Sfalassà Viaduct.
General technical characteristics of the project:
- Total section length 29.8 km
- Typical motorway width 25.00 lm (2 carriageways of 11.20 m + reservation of 2.60 m)
- Total length of tunnels 14,011.00 lm in North Carriageway, 14,260.00 lm in South Carriageway
- Typical tunnel section 156.92 m²
- Total length of viaducts 3,580.00 lm in North Carriageway, 4,050.00 lm in South Carriageway
Main Technical Data:
- Embankment volume 7,500,000 m³ r.c.
- Excavation volume (open) 4,500,000 m³ r.c.
- Excavation volume (underground) 4,000,000 m³ r.c.
- Concrete volume 2,000,000 m³ r.c.
- Steel reinforcement for castings in place 26,000,000 kg r.c.
- Supporting structures/electro-welded net 27,000,000 kg r.c.
- Foundation piles 300,000 lm r.c.